Monday, March 12, 2007

"Jumping the Median"

He always took me places that I didn’t fit into. One night, I found myself in the local biker bar, everyone hopped up on coke, except me. I drank my beers pretending to like the music, thinking about how infinitely different the world looks as the minority, until he decided he’d had enough of watching me squirm from across the smoky room. We ran across the four-lane highway, jumping the median almost cost me my life, but now my heart was racing. I was wet with excitement at cheating death again. We walked down the alley behind Blue Video in edgy silence. He pushed me up against the wall, pinning me with one arm, pushing the air from my heaving chest in the darkness, while the other hand found it’s way down the front of my jeans. His fingers slipped in like a dream, and he smiled at his achievement. Aleathia Drehmer 2007 Published by Motherkisser 8/07

No comments: