Friday, March 30, 2007

"Ishmael"

I come from the East, all things West new to me, weather, scenery and the people all strange and beautiful. Ishmael is the most beautiful of all. He sits behind me in the 4th grade, the force of his breath moves my hair, and I have to control myself to keep from turning in my chair to look at him, my body electric just to be near to him. His skin is dark from sun, from ancestry and his black hair glints in the hot light of day. Most of all, I like his smile the two silver front teeth captivate me entirely. He and his friends pick on me at recess daily, they call me ”Toro” when I run down the grass bank after them, chasing them, doing embarrassing things to gain Ishmael’s attention, his affection, to think for one moment I am liked by them, but all I really get is a reputation as a loco white girl. Aleathia Drehmer 2007 Published by Flutter 3/07

No comments: